مسئول تطوير المنتدى
Points : 2906
|موضوع: One Of The Hot Spots السبت نوفمبر 15, 2008 3:51 pm|| |
Semarang, a city in Java, is the hottest place in all the islands. The writer had to stay ten of the hottest hours there on board the ship. The harbour was too shallow and the ship had to wait half a mile away. The writer didn’t go on shore because appearance of Semarang didn’t attract him as it lacked colour and gaiety.
The writer asked one of the ship’s officers if he had ever seen someone jumped into the sea. The officer said that while he was standing near one of the life-boats, a passenger jumped into the sea with his shoes on. He didn’t know whether he wanted to drawn himself or not. Then the passenger climbed onto the ladder and got out of the sea. He looked at his watch, then looked at the officer. And then went to his room. He changed into dry clothes and came to sit beside the officer. They didn’t talk about what had happened. The officer didn’t report the captain at that time.
The writer didn’t blame the man because he felt sorry for all the people who had to live in Semarang. He doesn’t want to see Semarange again.
1- “It’s strange that you should ask that.”
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1-What was the Plancius?
* It was the ship on which the narrator was travelling.
2- Where was the ship “Plancius” standing?
* It was standing half a mile from the harbour.
3- Why did the ship stand half a mile from the harbour?
* Because the harbour was shallow.
4- How long did the writer stay in front of Semarang?
* Ten hours.
5- Why was the writer unwilling to go on shore at Semarang?
* He wasn’t attracted as it lacked colour and gaiety.
6- What was well known about Semarang?
* It was the hottest town in the whole of islands.
7- Why was Semarang very hot?
* The mountain behind it kept the wind off.
8- How was the water of the sea near Semarang?Why?
* It was smooth, solid and glassy because there was no wind.
9- How does the writer describe Semarang to the officer when he asks him if he was going on shore?
* He describes it as lacking colour and gaiety.
10- What was the question that the writer asked the officer?
* He asked him if he had ever been on a ship when someone jumped into the sea.
11- Why was the officer surprised when he heard the writer’s question?
* Because it actually happened at the same place.
12- When did the passenger jump into the sea?
* In the early morning.
13- Why was the officer standing at that time?
* For a smoke.
14- How did the passenger jump into the sea?
* Feet first.
15- What did the passenger do when he fell into the sea?
* He climbed up the ladder onto the ship, looked at his watch and went back to his room.
16- Give a brief account of the man?
* He was a little fellow, always very neat.
17- What did the officer do when he saw the man jump into the sea?
* He did nothing because he had no time.
18- Why didn’t the officer ask the man why he had jumped into the sea?
* Because he was so surprised that he didn’t know what to say.
19- Why didn’t the captain report the incident to the ship’s captain?
* He thought it was a strange business.
20- Why was it wrong for the officer not to report what the passenger had done?
* If the captain had known the matter, the officer would have get into trouble.
21- How did the officer know that the man’s shoes were made of leather?
* Because they weren’t white, but they were black or brown.
22- When did the officer see the passenger after going back to his room?
At breakfast. They sat next to each other.
23- What did the officer know about the passenger?
* All that he knew about the man that he was coming back to his work at Semarang.
24- Why did the writer not blame the passenger for what he had done?
* Because he was coming back to work in the great heat of that town.
25- The writer says he wasn’t surprised that the man jumped into the sea. What did he find more surprising?
* He found it more surprising that all the people who came to Semarang didn’t jump into the sea together
26- How does the writer feel about the people who lived in Semarang?
* He feels very sorry for all the people who live in Semarang.
27- How did the writer feel when the ship moved?
* He felt it was like getting out of prison.
28- What were the writer’s feelings towards Semarang?
* He disliked it and didn’t want to see it again.
a) What was the question the writer asked the officer?
b) Why did the officer think it was strange to ask that question?
c) What was the officer’s answer?
2-“In any case he went straight to the side and climbed over and jumped into the water.”
a) How did the man jump into the water?
b) What did he do when he reached the water?
c) Why, do you think he jumped into the water?
3-“Did you know anything about this passenger?”a) Who to whom?
b) What did the passenger do?
c) What was the answer?
4- “As a matter of fact, I have. It was here, too, at Semarang, quite near where you are.”a) Who to whom?
b) What is the thing, which he has?
c) What would happen if the captain had learned about the matter?
5-“Semarang lacks colour and gaiety.”a) Why does Semarang lack colour and gaiety?
b) What was the narrator’s impression when he reached Semarang and when he left it?
c) In the light of the quotation, try to justify the strange accident on the ship?
6-“I wasn’t surprised that the poor fellow jumped into the sea, even in his good shoes.”
a) How did the officer know that the shoes were made of leather?
b) Why wasn’t the writer surprised?
c) What did he find more surprising?
Points : 1
|موضوع: رد: One Of The Hot Spots الثلاثاء مارس 23, 2010 10:14 am|| |
thank you it's reaiiy great effort
مسئول تطوير المنتدى
Points : 2906
|موضوع: رد: One Of The Hot Spots الثلاثاء مارس 23, 2010 2:34 pm|| |
You're welcome Abeer and I'm under your service
may god bless you
Points : 1
|موضوع: رد: One Of The Hot Spots الإثنين سبتمبر 26, 2011 1:46 pm|| |
Points : 1
|موضوع: رد: One Of The Hot Spots الأربعاء مارس 14, 2012 10:02 am|| |